Monday, March 09, 2009

Who cut off my crown?


One could not help but wonder the intention behind the almost complete trim. Short of actually cutting down the tree, the arborist has done a good job of eliminating all the plant's photosynthesis capacity. Is this death?

Interestingly, the many resident epiphytes have been left intact. I wonder if this reveal a certain understanding of how important these plants are, not just in terms of providing shade for humans but also home for other plants and animals.

Still it's a sad and curious sight to see these extreme trimmings. I am often reminded by Angie of NSS who laments these extreme "haircuts" by the arborists employed in Singapore. Was there an infestation in this tree? Is it half dead? Was it about to fall and hurt someone?

These big trees can sometime also serve as homes for predatory raptors. For one, there is a couple of owls that lives in the area that have been observed to stand watch on these big raintrees on campus. I wonder where will they go now if all the raintrees are decapitated.

2 comments:

Joe Lai said...

This used to be a lovely wide spreading umbrella-like tree. It was pollarded (cutting to bare branches) more than two years ago. I frequently walk there and I see no need whatsoever for such drastic action on a perfectly healthy tree. No doubt, convenient excuses will come your way now that it is cut - disease, lightning strike, etc, etc. It is such a shame!

Monkey said...

Was this already like this for 2 years?! geez! I thought it was relatively recent. I guess I haven't been paying attention.

Why leave it like this? I don't understand either. I worry about the other raintrees if this is a common practice